Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Growing like crazy! The organic garden is getting awesome.

Tonight consisted of several hours working in the garden! I had to do three things: weed, replant my pepper plants because the cutworms had gotten to them, and lay down some more landscape fabric because the darn bermuda grass has taken over again!
I had four bell pepper plants that I started from seeds. Only one is currently surviving. The other three were pinched off by cutworms. It was a rookie mistake. Usually I know better... the same thing happened to my tomatoes and I finally got it to stop by placing empty toilet paper/paper towel rolls. For some reason I didn't think about it with the peppers but it's ok -  I just had to go buy a few more. It also gave me to opportunity to change it up a bit and I bought one Anaheim pepper and then two new bell peppers. I wanted the Anaheim because they're good for dished like Chile Relleno... yum! They look like this:
After I planted the new peppers I got to work on weeding and laying down some new landscape fabric. The bermuda grass in my garden has gotten out of control. I had been able to control it for a few weeks by mulching with grass clippings. Lately it hasnt been working. I've had to dig and remulch three times now because it's so hard to control. We've also had some crazy rain lately and it keeps me from being able to weed. Luckily I found some all natural weed barrier fabric that's made out of corn! It's called Easy Gardener Natural Weedblock. No chemicals, all natural materials:
You can read more about it here: http://snipurl.com/wzu8n

Tomorrow I'll take a picture of the garden as a whole! However, yesterday I took a bunch of pictures for fun with my old film camera. I'll post those separately since there's several and they're more for fun!
I hope everyone had a great day and enjoyed their Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment