Sunday, July 4, 2010

One of my favorite breakfasts: Baked Tomato and Eggs!


I'm so excited for my tomatoes to start getting ripe in the garden! I have so many green tomatoes right now... we're going to be overloaded soon!
Until that happens though, I have to keep getting my tomatoes elsewhere. I bought some organic tomatoes from a local farmer for the purpose of making my favorite tomato & egg bake this weekend. It's really simple but does take some time to do it right so save it for a weekend!

All you need is:
(for one serving)
1 large tomato
1 egg
oregano
basil
1.5 T olive or grapeseed oil
salt & pepper to taste

1. Preheat to 400 degrees

2. Start by removing the core of the tomato.

3. Sprinkle it with salt & turn it upside down to drain for about 10-15 minutes. This helps level out the moisture because once you start baking, it intensifies. If you didnt drain them first, it would become incredibly soupy!

4. Bake the empty tomatoes for 10 minutes.

5. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh or dried oregano. (we use fresh oregano from our garden)

6. Coat the inside of the tomato with about 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil

7. Crack an egg into each tomato and season with salt & pepper
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your tomato and how you prefer your eggs.

9. This is usually when we top it with fresh basil from our garden and bake for another 5 minutes.
The end result & total time really depends on your preferences. At this point the egg should be completely cooked but it's still incredibly soft and delicious!


This morning, we served it with a side of turkey bacon and munched on some organic strawberries with coconut milk Kefir as we cooked. I hope everyone's had a great Fourth of July holiday! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment