Saturday, March 20, 2010

Black Bean & Quinoa burgers with Red Onion Basil Aioli: UPDATED

UPDATE: I tried this and it's worth making! It's affordable & delicious but take these notes into account:
1 - it was really really mushy. I don't think I strained them enough or they didn't chill in the refrigerator long enough. The leftover ones I had the next day were much better, so if nothing else, try to make them ahead of time so they can solidify more!
2 - I added some garlic - feel free to add more spices because I think it was a little bland.
_________________________________________________
I'm so excited! I'm about to try this recipe http://snipurl.com/uye9l for Black Bean & Quinoa burgers from thevoraciousvegan.com. I have a love/hate relationship with veggie burgers because of their texture. The worst one I've had was one of the most expensive at J.Alexander's. All rice and no substance! This version seems much better and I'll let you know how it goes.

From The Voracious Vegan.com:
Black Bean Burger
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed and roughly smashed
2/3 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup chickpea flour (with additional 2Tbsp if needed)
1/3 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes, the soft kind marinated in oil
1 Tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water, microwaved for 20 seconds
2 tsp liquid smoke
salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients and form into 4 large patties
- Allow the patties to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, then fry in a drizzle of olive oil until brown and crispy on both sides


Red Onion Basil Aoli
No specific recipe here, just mix a chopped red onion, a few diced garlic cloves and chopped fresh basil with lots of vegan mayo and there you go! Easy and delicious.

I also bought some gluten free hamburger buns from Whole Foods today to round out the meal so we'll see if they're worth the price. They were $6 for 6. Pretty lame but the only option right now so we'll see how good they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment